Leek and Cheddar Rarebit Recipe
This Welsh-inspired recipe makes for a cheesy (and easy!) recipe to whip up during a busy afternoon. We recommend using up that half a block of mature cheddar that you’ve got floating in the fridge.
Serves 4 Total Time 25 mins
- 40g unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, halved and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 100g strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 slices of stale bread
- splash of Worcester sauce
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium to low heat. Add the leeks and mustard and stir to coat.
- Pop the lid on and sweat the leeks for about 10–15 minutes until meltingly soft and tender. Season to taste.
- Heat the grill and toast the bread lightly. Spread the leek mixture thickly over the bread and top with the grated cheese.
- Grill until bubbling and golden and serve straight away with a splash of Worcestershire sauce if you like.