Lamb Kofta Burger with Roasted Red Pepper Chutney, Rocket and Pickled Chillies
Juicy lamb, onions and herbs – kofta moonlights marvellously as a burger.
Serves 6-8 Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
Get the ingredients here.
For the burger
• 800g lamb mince
• 1 onion, finely diced
• 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
• 15g parsley, finely chopped
• 15g coriander, finely chopped
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 tsp chilli flakes
• black pepper
For the red pepper chutney
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 red onion, chopped
• 2 bay leaves
• 460g jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
• 100g dark brown sugar
• 100ml red wine vinegar
• Burger buns
• Rocket leaves
• Pickled chillies
1. In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the burgers.
2. Use your hands to mix and squeeze everything together, for 3-4 mins.
3. Shape the mince into 6-8 burgers and chill until needed.
4. For the chutney, heat the olive oil in a saucepan, then gently cook the onion with the bay leaves for 15 mins or until golden brown.
5. Add the chopped peppers and cook for another 5 mins.
6. Spoon in the brown sugar and once dissolved, add the vinegar.
7. Bring to the boil, then reduce and simmer, stirring every so often, for about an hour, until the chutney is thick and sticky.
8. Cook the burgers over a direct heat, either on the BBQ or a griddle pan. Give them around 5 mins each side, until properly cooked through.
9. Char the burger buns, then spread a little mayo on the base. Add rocket leaves, the burger, a good dollop of chutney and some sliced pickled chillies.