Jersey royal topped lamb hotpot RECIPE
Make the most of the milder spring temperatures by warming up with a lamb hotpot topped with Jersey royals.
Serves 4 Total Time 1 hr, 30 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 900g diced lamb leg
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 50g plain flour
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 500ml vegetable or lamb stock
- 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
- 10g parsley, chopped
- 400-500g Jersey royals, cut into 2-3mm slices
- 30g butter, plus an extra knob
- 500g spring greens, sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas Mark 4. Heat the olive oil in a casserole (or large saucepan). Add the meat to brown, then remove and set aside. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook for 10 mins until everything starts to soften and caramelise at the edges.
- Stir in the flour, then add the worcestershire sauce and stock. Return the lamb and juices to the pan and mix well. Cook for 2 mins until the sauce starts to thicken. Stir in the thyme leaves and parsley and season to taste.
- Turn off the heat and, if you are using a casserole, level out the top. Carefully arrange the sliced potatoes over the top. If you used a saucepan, decant into an ovenproof dish before topping with the potato.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, brush over the potatoes and then pop the dish into the oven. Bake for 1 hr, until the potatoes are golden and cooked through. Before serving, steam the sliced greens for 5 mins, then drain and add a knob of butter. Serve the hotpot alongside the spring greens.