Japanese Street Food Okonomiyaki
Get your hands on some squeezy mayo to get the authentic zigzag lines on top of this Japanese pancake recipe.
Serves 5 Total Time 45 mins
- 220g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 300ml water
- 4 medium eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 30g sushi ginger, finely sliced
- 400g soft white cabbage or spring greens, shredded
- 185g unsmoked streaky bacon, cut in half horizontally
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 150ml okonomiyaki sauce
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- sprinkle of green nori seaweed (optional)
- shichimi togarashi spice mix (optional)
- Mix the flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Whisk the water and egg yolks together in a jug, then pour into the flour, whisking quickly.
- Add the ginger and cabbage and stir to coat.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then gently stir a quarter of the whites into the batter, before carefully adding the rest.
- Brush a frying pan with oil and put over medium heat. Add a ladle of batter to the pan and lay four bacon pieces on top.
- Cover and cook for 4–5 mins; flip the pancake and cook for another 4 mins. Remove from the pan and keep warm while making the rest of the pancakes.
- Spread each pancake with 2 tbsp okonomiyaki sauce, then top with mayo, spring onion, seaweed and spice mix, if using.
To shop all things pancake day, visit our dedicated aisle on-site.