Indulgent chocolate cake
“This cake is decadent, but really easy. It was my friend Nicola’s birthday and it was so nice to sit outside in the park and eat this together with a glass of fizz.” – Lisa Faulkner
For the Cake
- 50g cocoa powder
- 125g butter
- 125ml Vegetable Oil
- 250ml water
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 250g self-raising flour
- 15g baking powder
- 125ml natural yogurt
- 125g dark chocolate
- You will need a 23cm springform cake tin
For the Icing
- 150g dark chocolate (the higher the cocoa solids the better)
- 150ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 190oC/170oC fan /Gas 5. In a saucepan, melt the cocoa, butter, oil and water, stirring until liquid.
2. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until pale and voluminous.
3. Place the dark chocolate in a large mixing bowl. Pour the hot cocoa mix over it, then mix.
4. Add the creamed sugar and eggs, then the yogurt.
5. Add the flour and baking powder all at once. Mix until the lumps come away.
6. Line the base of a 23cm round springform cake tin with baking paper and grease the rest.
7. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 35-40 mins. Remove and allow to cool.
8. For the icing, break your chocolate up into chunks and add to a bowl.
9. Warm the cream in a pan. While it’s heating, run a fork across the top of the sponge to create small grooves.
10. Once the cream has boiled, pour it over the chocolate. Just let it melt and then stir very slowly.
11. Pour the mix over the middle of the cake and let gravity do its work. Shake the cake to help the ganache spread evenly and serve with berries on top.