Halloumi and Feta Cheese-On-Cheese Burger Recipe
Pure heaven for veggies and cheese-lovers alike. This burger takes all the best Greek flavours and puts them in a bun.
Serves 4 Total Time 20 mins
- 200g feta
- 3 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into 3cm strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 250g packs halloumi, each cut into 8 slices
- 4 brioche burger buns, sliced open
- 4 tbsp red pepper pesto
- 4 handfuls of rocket
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- Prepare the barbecue for cooking. Then, start crumbling the feta into a mixing bowl. Add the yoghurt, oregano, lemon zest and juice and season with black pepper. Mix well to make a thick paste.
- Put the pepper strips into a bowl, drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat. Once the barbecue flames have died down to hot embers, place the strips on the grill. Cook for 2–3 mins each side, until they just start to soften. Remove from the heat and keep to one side.
- Pop the buns on the grill cut-side down to lightly toast. Set aside.
- Next, cook the halloumi slices on the grill for 2 mins each side, then remove.
- To assemble each burger, spread 1 tbsp red pepper pesto on the bottom half of the bun, add a quarter of the pepper strips, then a quarter of the feta mix. Top with four halloumi slices, a handful of rocket, a quarter of the avocado and a couple of rings of red onion, then finally the lid of the bun.
And to drink…
For an alcohol-free option, try this tangy sparkling lemon and ginger drink. Made with apple cider vinegar, it’s sugar free and full of live probiotic cultures.
Hungry for more? Check out more delicious burger recipes here.