Halloumi and Barbecued Vegetable Flatbreads
Spicy, salty, sweet and tangy, this is perfect barbecue food.
Serves 4 Prep time 20 mins (plus marinating time) Cook 15 mins
• 4tbsp rose harissa
• 3 tbsp sweet white miso paste
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 2 courgettes, cut into 2cm cubes
• 2 red peppers, cut into 6 slices
• 250g halloumi, cut into 2cm cubes
• 2 red onions
• 2 carrots, peeled and cut into ribbons
• 4 radishes, finely sliced • 100g rocket
• 4 flatbreads
For the dressing
• 1 shallot, finely chopped
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp pomegranate molasses
• Salt and pepper
1. Place 8 bamboo skewers in a roasting tray and put a jar or mug on top to weigh them down, before covering with water. Allow to soak for at least 1 hr (this will prevent the skewers from burning on the barbecue).
2. Mix the rose harissa, miso paste, olive oil and lemon juice together in a bowl with 2 tbsp
of water to loosen. Place the courgettes, peppers and halloumi in a roasting tray. Cut the onions in half, leaving the root end intact, peel away the papery skin, then cut each half into 3 wedges through the root (this will hold the onion together as it cooks on the barbecue). Toss in the roasting tray with the vegetable and halloumi mixture then pour over the harissa marinade. Use a spatula to completely coat the vegetables in the marinade. Cover and set aside for 20 mins.
3. Wearing gloves (it’s a messy job), thread the vegetables and halloumi on to the bamboo skewers, alternating so that each skewer has 1 or 2 pieces of halloumi and a good mix of vegetables. Barbecue the skewers for 10-12 mins, depending on the heat of your barbecue, turning regularly.
4. Meanwhile, place the carrots, radishes and rocket in a bowl and combine. Mix the shallot, olive oil and pomegranate molasses together in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the rocket mixture.
5. Toast the flatbreads on the barbecue then top with the salad and a couple of halloumi and vegetable skewers.
Make it vegan: use vegan halloumi-style cheese instead.
Add all the ingredients you need for Halloumi and Barbecued Vegetable Flatbreads here.