Gluten-free pizza with pesto and cashew cheese
This recipe combines the classic flavours of Italian cooking with plant-based substitutes.
Serves 4 Total Time prep 50 mins, cook 35 mins.
- 250ml almond milk
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 400g gluten-free plain flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
For the tomato paste (this is so worth the effort of making fresh):
- 500g ripe cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
For the cashew cheese topping:
- 250g cashew nuts, soaked in boiling water for 15 mins
- 75g water
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large garlic clove
For the pesto topping:
- 250ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 75g pine nuts, toasted
- Salt and pepper
- 100g fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas 9. Make your dough: warm the almond milk slightly in a saucepan, add the yeast and oil, and give it a good stir.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda and a pinch of salt.
3. Add the almond-milk mixture and cider vinegar, and stir until the dough comes together. Knead for 1 min, pop back into the bowl, cover and leave in a warm place until you’re ready to use it (note: it won’t rise like normal dough).
4. Make the tomato paste: add the tomatoes to a large, non-stick pan with the oil, bay leaves, stock cube and seasoning. Bring to a boil, then simmer with a lid on for 12 mins.
5. Once cooked, push through a sieve to make a thick sauce – set aside for later.
6. Whizz all the cashew cheese ingredients, together in a blender, followed by the pesto ingredients and set aside (these will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days).
7. Assemble the pizzas: divide the dough into four and roll into circles on a floured surface.
8. Put a large, non-stick pan on a high heat, cook each pizza base for 1 min each side and remove to baking sheets.
9. Spread tomato paste over each one, then add the cashew cheese, pesto and anything else you fancy. Cook for 5 mins in the oven and serve