German Kartoffelpuffer Potato Pancake Recipe
This mixture can be made the day before it’s needed – just refrigerate until use. Then get frying and enjoy some deliciously hearty pancakes, this recipe recommends serving with apple sauce and sour cream.
Serves 4-6 Total Time 40 mins
- 800g russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 125ml ghee or vegetable oil
- apple sauce
- sour cream
- Place the grated potato into a muslin cloth and squeeze out any excess water.
- Tip the potato into a bowl and mix with the onion, egg, flour, nutmeg (if using) and salt, then season with black pepper to taste.
- In a large frying pan, heat the ghee or vegetable oil over a medium heat for 4–5 mins. It’s hot enough when a small piece of potato sizzles and bubbles in the pan.
- Using a wooden spoon, put a heaped spoonful of potato mixture into the pan, flattening it with the back of the spoon to about 1cm thick.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture (be sure to leave some space between each pancake in the pan, so cook in batches if you need to).
- Fry for 3–5 mins on each side until golden, then set aside on some kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with a dollop of apple sauce and sour cream.
To shop all things pancake day, visit our dedicated aisle on-site.