Garlic and Oregano Lamb with Artichokes RECIPE
For a tasty leg of Easter joy, give this recipe a try. You’ll love the herby flavours and sides of bean mash and anchovy greens. Yum.
Serves 4-6 Total Time 4 hrs 30 mins
- 1.65kg bone-in lamb shoulder, removed from the fridge 40 mins before cooking
- 4 echalion shallots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 2 garlic bulbs, sliced in half widthways, plus 2 cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, halved
- 15g oregano sprigs
- 300ml dry white wine
- 550ml chicken stock
- 350g baby plum tomatoes
- 175g artichoke hearts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins cannellini beans, drained
- 100g Greek yogurt
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 500g spring greens, shredded
- 15g flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 40g hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/Gas Mark 6. Pat the lamb dry with a kitchen towel, season and put in a large roasting tin. Roast for 20 mins, until slightly coloured.
2. Remove the lamb from the tin, then add 3 shallots, the garlic bulbs, half a lemon and half the oregano. Put the lamb on top then pour the wine and 350ml chicken stock around it.
3. Lower the oven temperature to 160°C/ 140°C fan/Gas Mark 4. Cover the tin tightly with foil and cook for 3 hours. Uncover, add the tomatoes and artichokes to the tin, then return to the oven for 45 mins–1 hr, until the lamb is tender.
4. Meanwhile, slice the remaining shallot. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and cook the shallot gently for 6–8 mins, until softened. Add half the crushed garlic and cook for 1 min. Tip in the cannellini beans along with the remaining 200ml chicken stock and simmer gently for 5–6 mins, until the beans have almost broken down. Mash, stir through the yogurt and season.
5. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan. Add the anchovies and cook for 1–2 mins, until broken down. Add the remaining crushed garlic, cook for a further 1 min, then increase the heat and add the greens in handfuls. Stir fry for 3–4 mins, until wilted. Season and add the juice from the remaining lemon half, to taste.
6. To serve, fish out the lemon and garlic skins from the lamb tray. Spoon off any excess fat. Shred the lamb with forks and stir through the pan juices and vegetables. Strip the remaining oregano leaves from their stalks and chop, then scatter over the lamb with the parsley and hazelnuts, before serving.