Fruit Polenta Cobbler
Polenta adds crunch to the topping of this fruit-filled bonanza.
Serves 6 Total Time 55 mins
- 3 Large ripe pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 5 Ripe plums, stoned and quartered
- 200g Blackberries
- 50g Caster sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 100g Plain flour
- 40g Polenta
- 40g Demerara sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- Large pinch of salt
- 50g Cold butter, diced
- 125ml buttermilk or natural yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas Mark 6. Pile the fruit into a medium ovenproof dish, measuring 20-25cm. You should have approximately 1kg of fruit in total.
- In a small bowl, combine the caster sugar, cinnamon, cornflour and vanilla seeds. Sprinkle the mixture over the fruit, gently toss to combine, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, polenta, demerara, baking powder and salt. Rub the butter in until the mix resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the yogurt or buttermilk to form a wet, sticky dough. Drop roughly even-sized spoonfuls of this over the surface of the fruit, leaving some gaps.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the fruit is tender and the topping is golden.
- Serve with cream or custard.