Fridge Clear-Out Egg Fried Rice RECIPE
Pair leftover roast chicken with whatever veg you have left in the fridge – don’t be afraid to experiment!
Serves 4 Total Time 25 mins
- 250g wholegrain basmati rice
- 700g–1kg mixed vegetables (use any raw veg you have to hand)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300g leftover roast chicken, shredded
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 4cm ginger, finely grated
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 20g coriander, chopped (or another soft herb)
- Place the basmati rice into a saucepan with 500ml water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid and cook for 12 minutes. Then turn off the heat and let it steam for 3 minutes before uncovering. All the water will have been absorbed.
- While the rice cooks, gather your vegetables from the fridge and chop into strips or chunks that are about the same size, so they cook evenly. For example, peel carrots and broccoli stalks into ribbons or cut into matchsticks, cut broccoli florets up small, roughly dice peppers and shred cabbage.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok and, when hot, add the chicken and vegetables along with the garlic and ginger. Once the veg starts to turn golden, add the cooked rice and toss well to mix. Add the fish sauce and soy sauce to season as you go.
- Add the beaten eggs and fold into the hot rice. Keep moving the rice around until the egg is cooked through. Turn off the heat, stir through the chopped coriander, or other herb of your choice, and serve.
COOK’S TIP: You can swap the roast chicken for leftover tofu, or even add a handful of prawns instead.