Just as good as the real thing, this lasagne uses gluten-free pasta and a dairy-free white sauce.
Serves 4 Total Time 2 hours
Get the ingredients here.
- 250g gluten-free pasta sheets
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus an extra 3 tbsp for the white sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 400g veal or beef mince
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 200g tomato purée (double concentrate)
- 1 Knorr Beef Stock Pot
- 2 tbsp gluten-free plain flour (we used Doves Farm)
- 800ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- First, make the bolognese sauce. Put the olive oil, onion and bay leaves into a large sauté pan over a low heat for 5 mins, with the lid on.
- Now add the garlic, celery, carrots and parsley, pop the lid on and cook on low for 6 mins.
- Add the veal or beef mince, season and cook on a high heat for 5 mins – keep the mince moving to break it up so it browns all over.
- Next, add the sundried tomato paste, purée and beef stock pot. Mix well and add 800ml of water, bringing to the boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer and cook with the lid on for 1 hour.
- While the bolognese cooks, make the white sauce. In a large heavy-bottomed pan, add the olive oil and flour on a medium heat. Stir until it starts to bubble. Cook for 2 mins, stirring constantly, and then add in the milk a little at a time – whisk to stop lumps forming. Once all the milk has been added, keep stirring until you have a thick sauce (about 3 mins), then season and add the nutmeg and yeast flakes. Adjust to taste. Pop a lid on and set aside.
- Next, preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6 and parboil the lasagne sheets. Bring a large, non-stick frying pan of water to the boil, adding in some olive oil to stop the sheets sticking. Place 4-6 sheets in the boiling water at a time, and cook for 2 mins. Carefully remove to a clean tea towel and repeat until all the sheets are cooked.
- When the bolognese is done, take an oven dish (around 20 x 26cm) and spoon a layer into the bottom so it covers the surface. Now add a layer of lasagne sheets (you may need to cut some sheets to fit snugly), followed by enough of the white sauce to cover the sheets in a thin layer.
- Repeat to make four layers of pasta. On the final layer, finish off with all the remaining white sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 mins until bubbling, removing the foil for the last 5 mins.
- Serve right away with a fresh green salad.