Foolproof pairings for the perfect stir-fry
A ‘chuck it in’ mentality works well with stir-fries, and whatever’s left in your fridge can often provide the best inspiration. Here are a few ideas of ways to team up your protein and veg – with five tasty sauces to suit. When it’s almost cooked, make a well in the middle, add the sauce, let it bubble and stir in the sauce.
Two combos for chicken
• Butternut squash, green beans, kale, garlic, red chilli.
• Aubergine, green pepper, ginger, green chilli.
Two picks for pork
• Green cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, ginger, garlic, coriander.
• Pak choi, spring onion, garlic, red chilli.
Two brainwaves for beef
• Aubergine, green beans, red chilli.
• Brussels sprouts, carrots, spring onions, ginger, garlic, red chilli.
Two fixes for fish & seafood
• Salmon, spring greens, asparagus, white onion, garlic, red chilli.
• King prawns, red and green pepper, celery, ginger, garlic, red chilli.
Two tips for tofu
• Tenderstem® broccoli, spring greens, garlic, red chilli.
• Chestnut mushrooms, sugar snap peas, pak choi, ginger, garlic, red chilli.
Everything you need for 5 easy stir fry sauces
3tbsp light soy sauce, 4tsp dark soy sauce, 2tbsp mirin, 2tbsp sugar, 4tbsp coarsely crushed black pepper.
Great with: All meat, seafood, tofu, veg.
Ginger citrus soy
200ml stock, 2 tsp cornflour, 1 tbsp 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2cm grated ginger, zest of ½ lemon and juice of 1 lemon.
Great with: Chicken, seafood.
2cm grated ginger, 4 tbsp soy sauce, 4 tbsp mirin, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tbsp honey.
Great with: All meat, fish, veg.
Simple peanut satay
4 tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy), 4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 150ml stock.
Great with: Chicken, pork, tofu.
Brown miso and mirin
3 tbsp brown rice miso, 3 tbsp mirin, 2 tbsp sake, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tsp soy sauce, 1/4 tsp chilli flakes.
Great with: All meat, fish, tofu, veg.
All ingredients serve 4.
And to finish…
Add crunch with: Toasted sesame seeds (white and black), toasted flaked almonds, cashews or chopped peanuts.
The final flourish: A squeeze of lemon or lime, fresh coriander, basil or chopped spring onion