Duck legs with plum sauce
Duck legs give succulent meat and crispy skin and are incredibly tasty.
Serves 4 Total Time ready in 1 hr, 40 mins, including 10 mins prep
- 4 duck legs
- 4 tsp Chinese five spice
For the plum sauce:
- 6 plums, pitted and chopped
- 2 ½ tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- pinch of allspice
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 50ml water
- 20 Chinese pancakes (2 packs)
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 cucumber, cut into sticks
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. Prick the duck legs all over with a fork, season, then rub 1tsp of five spice on to each leg.
2. Place the duck on a wire rack over a baking tray and cook in the oven for 1 hr 30 mins. Baste occasionally with the fat that drains into the tray.
3. Meanwhile, make the plum sauce: place the ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil, turn down to simmer for 20 mins. If it gets too thick, add a little more water.
4. Remove from the heat, blitz with a hand blender and leave to cool.
5. Leave the duck to rest for 10 mins, shred with a fork.
6. Serve with the pancakes, cucumber, spring onions and plum sauce.