Crumble-Topped Mince Pies
It won’t feel Christmassy until you’ve eaten one of these delightfully crumbly mince pies.
Serves 16 Total Time 45 mins
- 150g unsalted butter
- 200g gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Zest of an orange
- 200g gluten-free mincemeat
- 25g ground almonds
- 25g flaked almonds
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 25g soft light brown sugar
- To make the pastry, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the icing sugar and orange zest.
- Spoon in 4 tbsp water, mixing with a knife until the dough starts to come together. Knead lightly, flatten into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the pastry out to a 2–3mm thickness. Using a 9–10cm fluted cutter, stamp out discs from the pastry.
- Re-roll any trimmings and stamp out more discs until the pastry is used up.
- Line two 8-hole muffin tins with the pastry discs, then fill each pastry shell with 1 heaped tsp mincemeat and spread out to smooth.
- Combine the crumble ingredients in a small bowl, then sprinkle a little over the top of each mince pie.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 20 mins until the pastry is cooked and golden brown.
- Cool in the tins for 5 mins, then serve with brandy butter or crème fraîche.
Cook’s Tip: The pastry discs and mincemeat filing can be frozen, uncooked, in trays for up to 1 month