Crispy, spicy tofu tacos with black beans and avocado
Hake, cod or monkfish also work deliciously with this.
Serves 4 Total Time 25 mins, plus pressing time
For the tofu
- 2 x 280g firm tofu (we used Tofoo Naked tofu)
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1/2tsp garlic powder
- Olive oil, for frying
For the black beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins black beans
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 8-10 small tortillas
- 60g red cabbage, shredded
- 60g white cabbage, shredded
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 x pot Oatly crème fraîche
- Fresh coriander
- Hot sauce (optional)
1. Press the tofu between kitchen paper and a heavy pan weighted with tins for 15 mins, to press out any excess moisture.
2. Start the black beans: add the olive oil to a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the beans, garlic and cumin. Cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until just starting to break down.
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients for the tofu (except the olive oil) in a shallow dish. Slice the tofu into lengths – like chips – about 1.5cm wide. Toss in the mixture in the dish until coated.
4. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan, add the tofu slices and cook for 2 mins each side until crispy all over. Remove onto kitchen paper.
5. Wipe the frying pan and heat the tortillas for 30 secs each side.
6. To assemble, spread a little of the black bean mixture on the base, add some shredded cabbage, a few pieces of spicy tofu, some avocado, ‘crème fraîche’ and coriander.
7. If you like it even spicier, add some extra hot sauce.
Make it veggie
Swap the Oatly crème fraîche for the dairy version and add some grated cheddar.
Make it meaty
Exchange the tofu for sliced fish, chicken or steak.