Crispy Paneer with Chutneys Recipe
This crispy paneer with mango chutney mayo and cashew chutney is deeply satisfying, with myriad tastes and textures to excite the palate after a day of fasting.
Serves 4 Total Time 30 mins
- 125g mayonnaise
- 3 heaped tbsp mango chutney
- 70g cashew nuts
- 70g sultanas
- 50g coriander, chopped
- 1 green chilli
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 75g plain flour
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 heaped tsp chilli powder
- 450g paneer, sliced into rectangular pieces approx. the size of fish fingers
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Swirl the mayonnaise and the mango chutney together and set aside.
- Mix the cashew nuts, sultanas, coriander, green chilli and lemon juice with a few splashes of water and blitz to a smooth purée. Set aside.
- Put the flour and panko into two separate, shallow dishes. In a third bowl, beat together the eggs with chilli powder. Taking one strip at a time, dredge the paneer in the flour, dip into the egg, then gently coat in the panko, ensuring all sides have been covered. Repeat with the remaining paneer strips.
- Heat around 3cm of vegetable oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot enough (drop in a crumb of panko to test it – it should sizzle), carefully place the paneer in the oil and fry for 3-4 mins, flipping it over gently at least once. You may need to cook the paneer in batches. When the coating is golden all over, remove and drain on the kitchen towel. Repeat with the remaining paneer.
- Serve the paneer alongside the mango chutney mayo and fiery cashew chutney.
Browse more recipes to enjoy during Ramadan.