Coconut Yoghurt Flatbreads with Homemade Houmous, Roasted Squash and Lentils
This vegan and gluten-free flatbread is so full of rich flavours, the whole family will love it.
Serves 4 Total time 30-45 mins
• 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1-2 cm chunks
• 1 tbsp lemon thyme leaves, chopped
• 1 tsp sumac
• 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1x400g tin chickpeas, drained
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and slightly squashed
• 1 tbsp tahini
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
For the flatbreads
• 350g gluten-free plain flour
• 1 tsp xanthan gum
• 350g coconut yoghurt
For the toppings
• 2x 250g packets of Merchant Gourmet Tomatoey French Puy & Green Lentils
• 95g lamb’s lettuce
• 180g Slow-Roasted Tomatoes
• 50g pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. In a large oven tray, add the squash, lemon thyme, sumac, 2 tbsp of the olive oil and some seasoning. Toss everything together and cook for 25 mins, turning a couple of times.
2. Now place all the ingredients for the flatbreads into a bowl and bring together to form a ball, cutting into four equal pieces. On a floured surface, roll each piece out into a circle roughly 24cm across, Cook each flatbread, one at a time, in a large, dry frying pan on a high heat, turning once. Keep them warm, covered in foil, on a plate.
Psst. You may need to wipe the pan out with some kitchen roll if it gets too smoky.
3. Once the squash is cooked, add half of it to a food processor to make the houmous. Blitz it along with 2 tbsp oil, the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon zest and juice and some seasoning to create a thick houmous paste. Set the other half of the squash aside.
4. Warm the lentils as per packet instructions.
5. Spread some houmous over each flatbread, add some of the reserved roasted squash, along with some lamb’s lettuce, lentils, tomatoes and a scattering of pumpkin seeds. Serve with a few extra lemon wedges and a drizzle of olive oil.