Baked Coconut Rice Pudding Recipe with Passion Fruit Curd
This recipe makes a 300ml jar of passion fruit curd, and it’s best served cold.
Serves 4 Total Time 1hr 45 mins
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 120ml passion fruit pulp (from approx. 2–3 fruits)
- finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 80g caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- butter, for greasing
- 125g gluten-free pudding rice
- 125g condensed coconut milk
- 700ml whole milk
- To make the curd, place the beaten eggs, passion fruit pulp, lime zest and sugar in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon for 10 mins until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, one cube at a time. Pour into a sterilised jar, seal, then leave to cool before putting in the fridge to chill.
- For the rice pudding, preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/Gas Mark 3–4.
- Butter a shallow oven dish, approximately 20cm x 20cm. Combine the rice with both types of milk.
- Pour the mixture into the dish and bake for 1 hr 30 mins. Stir twice during cooking, but don’t touch it for the last 30 mins so a lovely golden skin forms.
- To serve, spoon the warm rice pudding into individual bowls then top with chilled passion fruit curd.
COOK’S TIP: Leftover curd will keep for a week in the fridge. Try it swirled into yogurt, spread on toast or layered up in a trifle.