Classic French Sweet Crêpes
Have a play around with this classic recipe and add your favourite topping.
Makes: 16-18 Total Time 40 mins
For the batter:
- 120g plain flour
- 4 eggs
- 250ml whole milk
- 25g butter, melted
- 20g caster sugar
- 20g unsalted butter, for frying
For the toppings:
- chocolate spread or chocolate sauce
- banana, sliced
- flaked almonds
- icing sugar
- double cream, whipped (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, eggs, milk, butter and sugar and whisk together until smooth and free from lumps.
- Over a medium heat, warm up a 20cm non-stick frying pan, skillet or crêpe pan for 2–3 mins.
- Add 1/2 tsp butter into the pan and move it around so that it covers the surface of the pan.
- Pour 2 tbsp of batter into the middle of the pan and swivel it around so the batter spreads out across the surface.
- Cook for 1 min, watching for the sides of the crêpe to turn golden. Loosen it from the pan, flip over and cook for a further 10 secs, remove and set aside.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- To serve, top with a layer of chocolate spread, or line up rows of banana slices and drizzle with chocolate sauce.
- Fold in half, then fold the two sides in. Sprinkle with flaked almonds, sieved icing sugar and an extra drizzle of chocolate sauce and whipped cream if using.
To shop all things pancake day, visit our dedicated aisle on-site.