This take on the traditional Christmas pud really is the bombe.
Serves 8 Total Time 35mins
For the gingerbread cake
- 100g dried cranberries
- 100g dried berry mix
- 100ml dark rum, or similar
- 500g custard
- 50g flaked almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1L chocolate ice cream
- First, line a 1.5L pudding basin with cling film.
- Heat the fruit and rum in a saucepan for 3–4 mins over a gentle heat. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer the custard into a shallow container and freeze for 2–3 hours. Fork the frozen edges into the centre after 1.5 hours, repeating 2 or 3 times until it’s softly frozen.
- Tip the ice cream into a mixing bowl and, when slightly softened, stir in the almonds.
- Spoon into the lined pudding basin and press the mixture up the sides, leaving a hollow centre.
- Return the mix to the freezer for 30 mins if it’s too soft to hold its shape. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the custard from the freezer and stir in half the cooled fruits and rum. Press this into the hollow you left in the pudding basin, and then smooth the top. Freeze until ready to serve.
- To serve, turn it onto a plate, remove the cling film and garnish with the remaining fruit.
To create an enviable dinner table spread, take a look at our Christmas dinner recipes.