Chicken Leg with Preserved Lemon Marinade Recipe
A favourite of Moroccan cuisine, this marinade gains a flavourful intensity from the preserved lemons.
Serves 4 Total Time 50 mins, plus marinating time
- 4 preserved lemons
- 2 red chillies
- 4 tbsp ground coriander
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 chicken legs
- To make the marinade, combine chopped lemons, red chillies, ground coriander, olive oil, honey, lemon juice and the crushed garlic cloves in a large bowl.
- Season and coat the chicken legs with the marinade, cover and leave in the fridge for 2-3 hrs.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Cook the chicken in the oven for 35 mins and finish on the barbecue.
Top tips for barbecuing chicken
- Score the skin with a knife in order to help the heat penetrate the meat.
- Level out the boneless breasts by hitting them with a rolling pin. This will increase the surface area for marinades and help them cook more evenly.
- Start the chicken in the oven to make sure it’s cooked through, before adding flavour and crisping up the skin on the barbecue.
- Spatchcock the chicken to cook whole birds more quickly and evenly, then remove the backbone with sharp scissors and flatten with the heel of your hand.
- Use a thermometer to check your meat is cooked through. It’s ready when the thickest part of the chicken is 75oC.
Hungry for more? Check out more delicious barbecue recipes here.