Cheesy Meatball Pitta Pockets
With this easy recipe, the children can make their own pittas at the table.
Serves 4 Total Time 20 mins
Get the ingredients here.
- 24 Beef Meatballs, lightly seasoned
- 500g microwave wholegrain rice
- 4 pitta bread
- 25g mature cheddar, grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil, 2tbsp for the meatballs and 1tbsp for the salad bowls
- 270g cherry vine tomatoes, halved (for the salad bowls)
- 1/2 cucumber, halved lengthways and finely sliced into half-moons (for the salad bowls)
- 75g black olives, sliced (for the salad bowls)
- 125g mixed leaf salad (for the salad bowls)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise (for the sauce)
- 1 tbsp sundried tomato paste (for the sauce)
1. Start by preparing your salad bowls. In one serving bowl, toss together the tomatoes, cucumber, mint and 1tbsp of olive oil (season a little too). Empty the olives into a separate bowl, and the salad leaves into another.
2. For the sauce, take a small bowl and mix the mayonnaise and sundried tomato paste. Pop all the bowls on the table ready.
3. In a large non-stick frying pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil and add the meatballs. Cook on a medium heat, stirring often, for 8-10 mins until cooked and golden.
4. While the meatballs are cooking, heat the packs of rice in the microwave for 2 mins and empty into another bowl.
5. Toast the pitta breads for 1 min and remove onto a warm plate.
6. When the meatballs are ready, remove and place on kitchen roll to drain before transferring to a warm plate. Sprinkle the cheese over while they’re still hot, so it gently melts.
7. Bring everything to the table, and let the gang dig in and fill their pittas.