Buckwheat Galette with Melted Cheese and Ham
Lace-thin with a delicately crisp edge, the French certainly know how to do pancakes. Especially when filled with ham and oozing cheese…
Serves 2 Total Time 10 mins
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 1 medium egg
- 200ml water
- olive oil, for frying
- 100g grated emmental or other melting cheese
- 4 slices cooked ham
- handful cornichons
- 40g pea shoots
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and season. Crack in the egg and gradually add the water, beating continuously until it forms a thick batter with the texture of double cream. Set aside to rest (if you have time).
- Heat a little oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp of batter and swirl to cover the base of the pan.
- Cook for 2 mins, or until golden brown and easy to loosen from the pan. Flip onto the other side, sprinkle half with cheese and fry for another minute or until melting.
- Add a slice of ham and fold over. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Repeat to make the next pancake.
- Serve with cornichons and pea shoots.
To shop all things pancake day, visit our dedicated aisle on-site.