Buttermilk-Style Fried Chicken
This spicy buttermilk-style marinade makes chicken that will melt in your mouth.
Serves 4 Prep Time 15 mins(plus 30 mins marinating) Cook Time 15 mins
Add all ingredients here.
• 4 chicken drumsticks
• 4 chicken thighs
• Vegetable oil
For the marinade
• 300ml milk
• 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon
• 2 tsp Tabasco
• 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp garlic salt
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper
For the crust
• 225g plain flour
• 1 tsp celery salt
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
1. Pierce the chicken skin with a fork to speed up the marinating process.
2. Mix the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl and coat the chicken pieces fully. Cover with cling film and pop in the fridge for 30 mins.
3. Mix the crust ingredients in a bowl.
4. Warm a deep frying pan and add half an inch of vegetable oil to shallow fry.
5. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Take the marinated chicken and dip into the crust mixture, piece by piece. Coat it well and don’t worry – any lumps will make a thick crispy crust!
6. Fry the chicken in batches (about 2 mins each side) until crispy and golden, then place on a tray lined with baking paper. To finish cooking, place the tray in the oven for 10-15 min.
7. Sprinkle extra salt and a squeeze of lemon juice to serve.