Broad Bean Falafel and Beetroot Houmous Salad
Cut these Middle East meets English country garden falafel to reveal a bright green centre.
Serves 6-8 as part of a buffet or 4-6 as dinner Total Time 45-60 mins
Add all ingredients here.
For the falafel
- 300g broad beans, (blanched and podded down to the bright green beans)
- 1 green chilli (roughly chopped)
- 1 bunch spring onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 20g parsley (roughly chopped)
- 20g coriander (roughly chopped)
- 70g chickpea flour
- 1 drizzle sunflower oil (for frying)
For the houmous
- 400g tin of chickpeas (drained)
- 2 steam-cooked beetroots
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 clove garlic
- 30ml olive oil
For the yoghurt dressing
- 2 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 splash water
For the salad
- 1/3 red cabbage (shredded)
- 1 sweet cos lettuce (shredded)
- 1 bunch spring onions (shredded lengthways)
- 4 mini cucumbers (sliced)
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- 30g pumpkin seeds (toasted)
1. Place the falafel ingredients into a food processor and pulse until you have a finely chopped paste. Use your hands to shape the falafel mix into 14-16 even rounds. Keep to one side
2. Rinse the food processor and add all the houmous ingredients apart from the oil. Run the machine until the mix is largely smooth, pause, scrape the sides and run again, adding as much oil as needed to get a good consistency. Set aside.
3. Mix all the dressing ingredients together and add a splash of water if needed to loosen the mixture
4. Heat a saucepan half full of vegetable oil on a medium heat. Use a cook’s thermometer to get it to 180°C, then carefully use a slotted spoon to lower the falafel into the oil
5. Fry for 6 mins, until deep golden brown, remove and drain on kitchen paper. You will need to fry in batches, so keep the cooked ones warm.
6. On your serving plate, arrange the salad ingredients, holding back the pomegranate and pumpkin seeds.