BREADED TOFU BURGER, SRIRACHA MAYO, LETTUCE AND SPRING ONION
The breadcrumbs here are spiked with paprika for extra smoky flavour.
Serves 4 Takes 20 mins
• 560g extra firm tofu (we used The Tofoo Co Naked Organic Tofu)
• 1 egg
• 50g panko breadcrumbs
• 1tbsp sweet smoked paprika
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 4 tbsp mayonnaise
• 2 tbsp sriracha
• 4 leaves of a romaine hearts lettuce, torn
• 1 bunch of spring onions, sliced
• 4 Brioche Style Burger Buns, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. Cut the blocks of tofu into 8 even slices.
2. In one bowl beat the egg. In another shallow bowl mix the panko breadcrumbs and paprika.
3. Take each slice of tofu and gently dip them one by one in the beaten egg and then in the breadcrumbs.
4. Heat a large frying pan with the olive oil. Add the tofu and cook over a medium heat until golden brown – about 4 mins. Flip and repeat.
5. Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise and sriracha together and set aside.
6. Once the tofu is golden brown all over, transfer to a hot barbecue for 2 mins each side to add a little char. You can toast the cut sides of the brioche buns at the same time.
7. To serve, spread a little sriracha mayo on the base of the bun, pile the lettuce in, put two breaded slices of tofu on top and another spoonful of the mayo. Top with the spring onion and the burger bun lid.
Add all the ingredients you need for the Breaded Tofu Burger, Sriracha Mayo, Lettuce & Spring Onion here.