Blueberry and Blackberry Streusel
Streusel comes from the German for ‘sprinkle’. Try our easy take on a crumble-topped classic.
Serves 12 Total time 1 hr 5 mins
- 125g butter, softened for the cake. Plus 50g chilled and diced for the topping
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 100g sugar, for the topping
- 3 free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g plain flour, plus 4tbsp for the topping
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 225g thick Greek yogurt
- 225g blackberries
- 225g blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and fully line a 23cm square tin with greaseproof paper.
- First prepare the topping: mix the flour and sugar in a bowl and rub the butter in until it resembles a breadcrumb texture, then set aside.
- For the cake mixture, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then gradually add the eggs.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, and tip in the yogurt. Fold everything together until well combined, then spoon into the tin. Level the surface and evenly scatter over ¾ of the fruit.
- Now scatter over the crumble topping, followed by the remaining berries.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until golden and the cake starts to come away from the edges of the tin. Cool in the tin for 15 mins on a wire rack before removing.