Black Bean Burgers with Sweet Potato Fries
If the weather lets you down these burgers are just as good oven-baked.
Serves 6 Prep time 30 mins (plus 2 hrs chill time) Cook 30-45 mins
• 2 x 400g tins black beans
• 225g smoked firm tofu
• Olive oil, for frying
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 tsp fennel seeds
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 bunch parsley, leaves chopped
• 75g breadcrumbs
• 50g vegetarian parmesan
• 1 egg, beaten
• 6 burger buns
For the Fries
• 1kg sweet potatoes, peeled
• 3 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika
For the mayo
• 150g mayo
• 25g pickled jalapeño, chopped (plus extra)
• 1 bunch coriander, leaves chopped
1. Drain and rinse the black beans then spread out to dry on kitchen paper. Cut the tofu in half, wrap in kitchen paper and squeeze gently to remove excess water.
2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion with a pinch of salt for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally, until soft and starting to colour. Add the garlic and spices and fry for a few mins. Scrape the mixture into a mixing bowl with parsley, breadcrumbs and cheese.
3. Pulse the black beans and tofu in a food processor until the tofu pieces are about the size of the whole beans. Tip into the mixing bowl, stir and adjust the seasoning, then stir in the egg.
4. Shape the mixture into 6 burgers and place on a board lined with baking paper. Chill for 2 hrs to help them hold their shape as they cook.
5. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 8. Slice the sweet potatoes into 1.5cm lengths, then cut into chips. Toss the potatoes with the oil, paprika and a pinch of salt. Roast for 20 mins until soft and catching at the edges.
6. Mix the mayonnaise ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
7. Barbecue the burgers for 5-8 mins each side (or brush each side with a little oil and oven bake for 25 mins).
8. Toast the buns on the barbecue until charred. Top the burgers with a dollop of mayo, a slice of jalapeño and some tomato or slaw, and serve the sweet potatoes alongside.
Add all the ingredients you need for Black Bean Burgers with Sweet Potato Fries here.