Barbecued Carrots with Charred Pittas and Green Herb Dressing
Upgrade to rainbow carrots for a real visual feast.
Serves 4 Prep time 15 mins (plus 3 hrs straining time) Cook 20 mins
• 500g greek yoghurt
• 120ml olive oil
• 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 1 tsp honey
• Small bunch of parsley, leaves picked
• Small bunch of dill, leaves picked
• Small bunch of mint, leaves picked
• Vegetable oil, for brushing
• 500g carrots, peeled and sliced into roughly 1cm lengths
• 4 pitta breads
• Salt and pepper
1. Lay a cheesecloth or muslin over a sieve, suspended over a bowl. Scrape the yoghurt into the centre of the cloth, gather the sides over the yoghurt and twist at the top to secure. Set aside for 3 hrs or overnight.
2. Mix the olive oil, vinegar, honey and a pinch of salt and pepper together in a bowl large enough to hold the carrots. Chop the herbs and stir them through. Set aside.
3. Brush the carrots with oil and season with salt and pepper. Barbecue for a few mins each side without moving around too much (this will help to develop distinct char marks on the slices) and remove when they are caramelised in places and soft to the point of a sharp knife. Toss the carrots in the herb dressing while they are hot.
4. Toast the pittas on the barbecue for a min each side. Remove the strained yoghurt (labneh) from the cheesecloth and discard the watery whey in the bowl. Spread the labneh on a platter, top with the carrots and the herb dressing, and serve alongside the pittas for dipping or stuffing.
Add all the ingredients you need for Barbecued Carrots with Charred Pittas and Green Herb Dressing here.