Barbecue chicken pitta Recipe
Intensely crispy chicken skin in a soft pitta bread with a lemony slaw, tangy sauce and pickled onions; this recipe is perfect for your next barbecue. Don’t forget, you can find more delicious MOB Kitchen’s recipes produced exclusively for Ocado here.
Serves 4 Total Time 45 mins
- 1kg bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 head white cabbage
- 200g sour cream
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- small handful flat-parsley
- 4 pitta breads
- Debone the chicken thigh, leaving the skin on. Cut a slit near the bone, and scrape the meat down to remove it from the bone.
- Place the chicken into a bowl and sprinkle on the smoked paprika, ½ tsp salt, a good grinding of black pepper and a big glug of olive oil. Mix well so it’s evenly coated and stained red.
- Cook on the BBQ or a very hot grill skin side up for 15 – 20 mins until cooked through and the skin is crispy.
- Meanwhile, finely slice the red onions and place in a bowl with the juice of a lemon and salt. Squash the onions with your hands to quickly pickle. Finely slice the white cabbage and combine in a bowl with 100g of sour cream, the juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper.
- To make the sauce, first combine the remaining sour cream with the hot sauce. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop the chicken and pick the leaves of the parsley. Combine the parsley with the pickled onions.
- Toast the pitta and stuff with the cabbage, chicken, pickled red onion mix and the sour cream sauce.
Chef’s tip: If you want to pickle the onions faster, pop them in the microwave for 30 secs, three times, scrunching them in between.