Aubergines Braised in Tomato and Tamarind Sauce Recipe
Sweet and creamy, this easy to make aubergine dish is guaranteed to become a family favourite.
Serves 4 Total Time 1 hr 15 mins
- 8-12 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 750g aubergines (approx. 2 medium), halved lengthways then cut into strips approx. 2cm thick and 7cm long
- 1 x 400g tin cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tamarind chutney
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 heaped tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp honey
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Handful of coriander leaves
- Put 4 tbsp olive oil in a wide-mouthed casserole dish or pan over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add a third of the aubergines and fry until they are deeply golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on the kitchen towel. Repeat with the remaining batches of aubergines, adding extra oil as needed.
- Blitz the tomatoes, tamarind chutney, garlic, onion, chilli flakes, cumin seeds and honey with a tinful of warm water.
- Transfer the tomato mixture to the casserole or pan and bring to the boil. Add the aubergines, turn down the heat and let the mixture simmer.
- It will take 30-40 mins of gentle cooking before the moisture has evaporated, the sauce is luscious and thick and the aubergines are cooked through. Resist the temptation to keep stirring, as this will cause the aubergines to disintegrate. Instead, lift the pan off the cooker and gently swirl it around to mix everything through.
- Season with salt to taste, transfer to a platter and top with a drizzle of olive oil, the pomegranate seeds and coriander leaves.
Browse more recipes to enjoy during Ramadan.