Apple, Pear and Blackberry Amaretti Crumble
It’s not just veg that’s in season now. An inventive crumble can be a great way to use up your surplus of blackberries and juicy pears.
Serves 6 Total Time 45 mins.
For the crumble topping:
- 125g cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 125g plain flour
- 125g ground almonds
- 40g soft brown sugar
- 100g amaretti biscuits, crumbled up
- For the filling
- 5 bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped into large chunks
- 5 ripe pears, peeled, cored and chopped into large chunks
- 450g blackberries
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 50g soft brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. First make the crumble topping by gently rubbing the butter, flour and ground almonds together in a large mixing bowl until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the sugar and amaretti biscuits then set aside.
2. Place all the filling ingredients together in an ovenproof baking dish roughly 28cm by 21cm and mix together well.
3. Cook the fruit in the oven without the crumble topping for 15 mins to soften, then remove and scatter over the crumble mix.
4. Return to the oven for a further 30 mins.
5. Remove and set aside for 5 mins before serving. This dessert is great with vanilla ice cream or thick fresh custard.
Cook’s tip: This will freeze easily and you can also make individual portions. Try swapping the fruits – apricots and peaches work really well with the amaretti.