Lisa Faulkner’s Lamb Koftas with Easy Homemade Flatbreads for the Barbecue
It’s barbecue season but as tasty as burgers and hot dogs are, sometimes it’s nice to mix things up on the grill, without blowing the barbie budget! These lamb koftas are a great value, easy-to-make and delicious way to add something a little bit different to your next family barbecue on a budget.
For the koftas:
Ready in 8-10 minutes.
- 400g lamb mince (Lisa uses Ocado British Lamb Mince)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 garlic clove grated
- Juice and zest of a lime
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all the above together and shape into golf balls, then either thread a few onto a skewer for a barbie or fry in a little oil in a pan until golden brown all over.
For the flatbreads:
- 250g self-raising flour
- 250g natural yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp spoon olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together to form a dough and knead a little on a floured board.
- Roll into 6 balls and roll each one out very thinly. Heat a griddle pan or frying pan and place the flat bread on the pan on a medium/high heat. Wait until it puffs up a little, then turn and cook on the other side. This will only take a few minutes.
- Keep warm in foil until ready to serve. If you want to make them ahead of time and reheat later, simply pat with water and wrap in foil, then place in the oven at 180°C for 3-5 minutes.
In a hurry? Don’t worry if you don’t have time to make your own flatbreads. Lisa recommends that tortilla wraps can work well for this too.
For the cucumber yoghurt and mint dressing:
- 1/2 cucumber peeled
- 200g natural yoghurt
- 1 large tsp mint sauce
- Peel the cucumber into strips just up until the seeds on each side.
- Mix the yoghurt and mint sauce together then drop in the cucumber
- Serve spooned over the koftas.
Lisa’s Food Waste Tips
If you have any leftover koftas, they are great the next day broken up and served in a salad with chickpeas. You can also use your leftover cucumber peelings to flavour some refreshing cucumber mint water..
Add all the ingredients you need for Lisa Faulkner’s recipe here.