Lisa Faulkner’s Father’s Day Sausage and LeEk Picnic Pie
At the moment, we can’t take Dads out for a Father’s Day lunch but that doesn’t mean we can’t treat them. Whether you’re living with your Dad, or not, we want to inspire people to tell their Dads ‘I love you’ through food.
The idea of this recipe is a meal which can be served at the dinner table for families who live with their Dads or it can be easily packaged up and enjoyed on a socially distant picnic in the park.
- 500g shortcrust pastry
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 leeks finely sliced
- 400g sausages or sausagemeat
- 1-2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- You will need a 20cm loose bottomed shallow cake tin
1. Roll out your pastry to slightly larger than your base and sides. Press into the edges. Roll another disc of pastry to fit on top and cut out any letters you may want on top, e.g. Dad or Grandpa!
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the chopped leeks and soften. Set aside.
3. Take your sausagemeat (if you’re using sausages then take them out of their skins) and place in a bowl. Add your leeks, mustard, salt and pepper and mix together. Press the sausage mixture into the tin.
4. Brush the edge of pastry with beaten egg and place the lid on top. Then seal the edges with a fork and put your cut out letters or shapes on top. Make 2 little holes in the middle for the steam to escape. Brush with egg and then chill in the fridge for about half an hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 200C and bake for 35-40 minutes.
For the filling, Lisa recommends using a product seasoned with white pepper and spices in beef casings. She used Ocado 12 Butchers Choice British Cumberland Pork Sausages.
Add all the ingredients you need for Lisa Faulkner’s Father’s Day Sausage and Leak Picnic Pie here.