Canapés are brilliant. They’re perfect for feeding a group of people, they look adorable, and because they’re small you can try lots of different things. Our recipe for bacon-wrapped jalapeños and water chestnuts is quick, easy and mouth-wateringly good.
12 streaky bacon rashers, cut in half widthways
12 Kingfisher whole water chestnuts
1 sprinkle brown sugar
12 fresh jalapeño peppers, deseeded
25g cream cheese
3 tbsp chilli sauce or chutney, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas Mark 6.
- Cut the bacon rashers in half widthways and lay them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle a little brown sugar over them.
- Deseed the jalapeños and fill the insides with cream cheese.
- Place them on top of half the rashers, and place a chestnut on top of the other half (cut the chestnuts in half if they’re particularly large). Roll up and secure with a cocktail stick.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins, or until crisp. Serve with chilli sauce or chutney for dipping.
Have a Happy New Year, everyone.