A fun meal the whole family will love, cooking and assembling lamb souvlaki with minted tzatziki only takes 20 minutes. The longest part of this recipe is the marinating, which you can also prepare overnight.
- 500g rolled shoulder of lamb, fat trimmed and meat cut into 2cm cubes
- 2tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2tsp fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 25ml red wine
- 50ml olive oil
- Generous pinch of sumac, to serve
For the tzatziki:
- Half a cucumber, peeled, deseeded and coarsely grated
- 175g Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1tbsp mint, roughly chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Four flatbreads, your choice of salad and a dash of chilli sauce (we’ve gone for khobez wraps with lettuce, tomatoes, dill and radishes)
- Place the lamb in a mixing bowl with the herbs, garlic, lemon zest, red wine and half the olive oil. Cover and chill for at least 2 hrs.
- When ready, mix the remaining olive oil with the lemon juice and pour over the lamb. Thread onto skewers (allow two per person).
- Grill on a high heat until cooked to your taste. Sprinkle with the sumac.
- Mix all the tzatziki ingredients together. Serve the lamb and your chosen salad on the flatbreads, and top with tzatziki and a splash of chilli sauce.
Total time required: 2hrs 20 mins
Preparation time: 10 mins, plus 2 hrs marinating time
Cooking time: 10 mins