In our third Christmas blog, we show you how to conjure up an easy meat-free Christmas meal that will have everyone round the table asking for seconds, whether they’re vegetarian or not.
The secret is in the sides
We’re talking serious sides with big flavours, like adding toasted almonds to roasted veg and strong, nutty parmesan to Brussels sprouts. Sauces are important too: bread sauce packed with cloves, nutmeg and pepper; or add dried porcini mushrooms and a splash of soy sauce to vegetarian gravy.
- The Delisanté galette (pictured) is an indulgent mix of pastry, roasted veg and cheese.
- Prefer a nut roast? Try Waitrose Frozen Nut Roast Wellington 260g £3.99 (£1.53 per 100g).
- Clive’s Pies are gluten-free and suitable for vegans – try Clive’s Free-From French Cassoulet Pie 235g £2.99 (£1.27 per 100g).
- Try salmon for pescatarians, like Ocado Salmon Side 1kg £24 (£2.40 per 100g).
Served with a Pumpkin Seed and Parsley Dip, this makes a wonderfully colourful topping or side that doubles up as a pre-meal nibble or post-dinner sofa snack.
- Serves 6
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 parsnip, peeled
- 2 beetroots, peeled
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp salt
- 300ml crème fraîche
- 6 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 3 tbsp parsley
- Heat the oil for deep-frying (around 165°C).
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the veg into long wafer-thin pieces, removing any excess moisture with kitchen paper.
- Put a handful of slices in the oil for 2-3 mins, until their colour deepens and they crisp up – they will get crispier as they cool, so be careful not to overcook. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Repeat until they are all cooked, then transfer into a dish and sprinkle over the salt and cinnamon. Mix carefully by hand.
- To make the dip, finely chop the toasted seeds and parsley then blitz in a blender with the crème fraîche, seasoning to taste.
Spruce up sprouts with a cheesy, salty bite like so.
- Serves 6
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 30-35 mins
- 40g parmesan
- 500g Brussels sprouts
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
- Zest and juice of 1½ lemons
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 195°C/175°C fan/Gas 5.
- To crisp the parmesan, cover two baking trays with non-stick greaseproof paper, grate the cheese finely and evenly over the top and put in the oven for 8-10 mins.
- Turn the oven up to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6.
- Cut the sprouts in half, make a little slit in the core of each one and place into a roasting dish.
- Mix the crushed garlic, pine nuts and zest of 1 lemon with the olive oil, drizzle over the sprouts and place in the oven for 30-35 mins.
- Remove and stir in the extra virgin olive oil, remaining lemon zest, lemon juice and seasoning. Sprinkle the crisped parmesan over the top.
From Ocadolife – read the full magazine online